Have you set your sights on a new career in the New Year? If so, you need to stand out from crowd as this is a busy time of the year for career moves. Your CV and any application must be relevant enough to make the right impression. Let’s look at how you can increase your chances of success.
With any job application, either direct to a business or to an employment specialist, you may only get one chance to get it right so it’s important to avoid being over- looked.
- Is your CV clearly laid out? An easy to read CV with a good font will spark the attention of the recipient
- Make sure that all your personal contact details are on the first page and easy to read
- It is advisable to keep your CV to a maximum of three pages to keep the attention of the recipient
- Is your application tailored to a particular role? If not, why not? An example would be “I am an experienced Manager”, when you are no longer looking for a management position
- Make sure your CV is in chronological order and ensure that exact dates are listed alongside each role
- Check for grammatical and spelling errors
- Make sure that all your education and training courses are listed along with your IT skills and particular packages that you have experience with (example MS Excel)
- In addition to core skills- ensure that your career achievements are listed alongside the relevant role. This will help hiring managers to determine whether you can add value in particular areas of the business
- Have you checked whether the wording is in the correct tense (either past or present?)
- Explain any gaps/breaks in employment as well as whether any of your roles were temporary/contract etc – needs to be self-explanatory
- Try to inject some personality for the reader to get to know you, be aware though that there is a fine line with being over-personal and too much information
- Look at your CV objectively. Ask a professional to read through your CV to ensure that
So, you’ve compiled a strong CV and you are now applying for roles. It is also advisable to keep a list of the roles you are applying for (whether direct applications or through agencies) as this will help your search and stop any CV duplications which could have an adverse effect on your job search.
In addition to searching for individual career opportunities for you, we can also provide you with free and professional advice on your CV. We are here waiting to help you.